zombieland with a bullet
October 9, 2009
At a recent time I don’t want to disclose publicly, I spent some quality team building time at the cineplex, where I was treated to the latest example of Woody Harrelson’s new genius–Zombieland.
It was awesome. So awesome it got me thinking of my favorite goofy monster movies. And while I hate to get too excited about something that’s only been around for a couple weeks, Zombieland is now on the top of the list, with a bullet.
Here’s the top five:
1. Zombieland–Brilliant. Funny, gory, tender, and, did I mention, funny? With a magical cameo by Bill Murray, and a line that, for some reason, still cracks me up: “I hate coconut. And not because of the taste, it’s the texture.” My only complaint? There should have been more virtuoso zombie killing. A quibble, I guess.
2. Tremors–I had forgotten about Tremors until recently, when me n the boys stumbled on it on TV. It’s almost perfect. And I can always use more Kevin Bacon in my life.
3. Shaun of the Dead–Described by Wikipedia as “a 2004 British romantic zombie comedy.” Hmm. If you haven’t seen or heard of Shaun of the Dead, or you aren’t into Zombie movies, it might be too late for you. Wait, what am I saying? Put it in your cue–it’s laugh out loud funny.
4. Arachnophobia–A rare combination of funny AND scary. Kept me out of my own basement for months.
5. Gremlins–Are you kidding? Phoebe Cates? Little monsters? The Bathroom Buddy? I’m embarrassed to say, I haven’t fired this one up with the boys. Putting it in the queue. And that reminds me, it might be time to see Fast Times At Ridgemont High again.
Honorable Mention: Eight Legged Freaks–Worth it just to see the giant trapdoor spiders jump out and snag the fleeing citizenry.